Saturday, August 9, 2008

Trees.

Northern Ontario has offered alot of new adventures and opportunities. The landscape on the north shore of Lake Superior is one of the most beautiful places on this trip. Except the bugs and weather have been try to convince me otherwise.

Lots of tough days lately with hills and heavy rains. The rain seems to be relentless. It always adds so much more time when, putting your tent away ..... and it's just mentally draining. But nothing can really bring me down. I guess knowing that I'm only 3 days away is such motivation to push through anything.

I have had huge bike problems, and had to hitchhike to the next bike store. Hitchhiking is always interesting because of the dependency on trust on both parties. It took me two rides to get where I was going and I actually turned down one ride from someone that I didn't feel comfortable going with. It's amazing how many people drive by hitchhikers. I tried many different things to intice people to pick me up. The animated thumb (shaking it all around). Juggling and then dropping the balls and throwing the thumb out. The Journal thumb.... (writing in my journal and putting my thumb out) The sad thumb (thumbs down).

Anyhow, I'm in Sudbury and will be arriving in Hamilton on August 12th around 4ish. I will be be riding to the Lawson Ministries building where I started this trip. It will be great to see the building where so many of the amazing individuals with Developmental Disabilities that I'm blessed to work with have motivated me to do this journey. I hope I have accomplished in spreading the word about their abilities and that I have represented them in good form.

Well this is the last blog on the road and there has been sooooo much that has happened but I will do one more blog when it's all said and done. I guess it will be a kind of recap.

GODSPEED :)
Matthew

2 comments:

Felipe Siem said...

It was good having you at our place Matt, Sorry about all the taking while you slept -_-, I sorta felt bad you in case we woke you at night and you had to get going in the rain next morning again...

read some of your blog, crazy adventure you're having man, keep it up!

amyhowitt said...

I fell asleep today to Judge Judy - an unlikely event, but awoke to see you on the news. I was amazed to see your story, and wanted to congratulate you on a great trip for a great cause. Initially I was stunned at the affinity we share for not only special needs - but biking and working in northern canada as well. The thought to ride my bike across Canada persisted early summer for me, and I denied it. So Thank you Matt, for getting up and doing even more than that. Welcome back.

-Amy