Friday, August 15, 2008

Getting Settled



I'm home and it still hasn't sunk in yet. It still feels like I'm on a short break, like I'm stuck in a town because of weather or waiting for a repair. Since I've got back, people have been very complimentary on what I have done but it honestly does not feel like that big a deal. It felt like I just went for a ride around the block.... a very big block.


I was scrolling through photos of the trip and it's a weird sensation. I look at them and think it would be pretty cool to go there, not really feeling like I have been there and snapped those pics. A photo is not the experience, not even close. I guess to play on a cliche it's all so surreal of what I have experienced in the last little while. I know I have a different outlook on people and the world but as for how I feel now. It feels like I seriously just went around the block.


Now I'm back home and trying to figure out where to go next. I want to ride my bike everywhere and at the same time don't really feel like doing anything. Lethargy has taken over and you know what? I don't mind. It feels good just to sit around... But my body is twitching to get out and do something strenuous.


There is probably 4000 people I owe a special thanks too. So many people hearing me out on what I embarked to set off to do and helping me in anyway they could. I know some people probably didn't want to hear me out but saw the position I was in and maybe out of compassion for me, sat down to hear my stories. I pray that if I talked to someone with negative viewpoints on people with disabilities I was able to make them more accepting to integrating them into the community. Overall I feel I was successful in bringing awareness to some of the issues that people with disabilities encounter. Thanks so much for everyone following this trip and being supportive. I have said this numerous times... I would have never ever come close to finishing this trip if I havn't been blessed with so many positive great people. Your words were the strength in my pedalling and I will always remember the gracious support from friends I have never even met! Thank you.



ONE LAST IMPORTANT NOTICE!!!!


Well a lot of people have been asking how much have we raised in the last little while. The grand total is currently at $62,000. We are also having a BBQ for the Far and Wide Bike Trek. This will be held at Burl-Oak Canoe Club in Downtown Oakville (160 Water Street Oakville,ON). It will be held between 4-10pm on Sunday, August 24th. It will be a great evening of fun with lots of stories shared of the summer, lots of pictures, gifts, and games!!!!!!!! Tickets in advance are $12 per adult and $2 per child. At the door they are $15 per adult and $5 per child. For more info please contact biketrek@live.ca or you can contact Evelyn 905-330-9482 or Amy 905-617-2465.



GODSPEED!

Matthew

1 comment:

mass said...

hey matt,

just popped in to check up on you. congrats on making it back across canada (and in great time, i might add). been thinking about you often out here in vancouver and thinking i should ride over the fraser bridge more often in hopes of meeting more awesome individuals doing awesome things just like you.

enjoy your rest and give me a shout if you end up in vancouver again,

mark from vancouver