Friday, April 4, 2008

DAY 2!!!

Well the last two days were crazy days.. Day 1 was a breath of fresh air and emotion. The whole send off was something that I knew would be a exciting time but I never imagined an emotional time. But I got choked up like all those cheesy celebrities on interviews or award shows. It was all the nice things people said about me before I got to say anything... I think it was a setup :) And there I was standing on a parking cement block (my stage) Getting all emotional, really one of my most cherished memories to date, beings so lucky to have some great people surrounding me. The whole morning was more than this fundraising crew could have ever asked for.

The ride on the other hand was a roller coaster of emotion. First I wobbled away from the setup not properly adjusted to the road yet. Feeling like I could fall at anytime and the trip could be over. I only could imagine what onlookers were thinking. Because If I saw a guy wobbling away with a huge smile I would probably laugh. Alot of the ride to Woodstock was an uphill climb but was very symbolic of what the everyone at Lawson Ministries is trying to accomplish with this fundraiser and what people Developmental Dissabilities have to deal with everyday.

I got knocked off my bike early in the day from a disgruntled trucker and smashed my front pannier. But nothing could bring me down. I ducked taped it back to my bike and was on my way. When I arrived in Woodstock the Salvation Army looked after me very well. They put me up in a room and fed me.... Thank you very much Mr. and Mrs. Strickland.

Day two was another story... however my great mood carried into this day. The weather did everything in it's power to bring me down. It froze me with strong winds, then it soaked me with torrential downpours. But flying through little towns and getting warmed up in Timmies rejuvenated me. And before I knew I was in London. After 130 km... I know it's babysteps to the finish, but so far im so impressed with the scenary and the hospitality of strangers... so keep posted and I will do my best to keep you updated on the progress.

Tell next time!

5 comments:

Justin said...

Hey Matt,
keep the posts coming. It's keep to hear how things are going. It's also nice (and somewhat odd) that you can smile after getting hit by a truck. Don't make that a habit.

Petra said...

Hey Matt.

You are an inspirationto all of us!!

Remember you are never alon, all of our good wishes and prayers go with you.

take care and stay away from the transports... they are bigger than you.
God speed

deanna finch-smith said...

hey matt, great blog, we can continue to connect and support you along the way! thinking about and praying for your safety along the way! we are here for you in every way!! De

Diane Bursey said...

Hi Matthew

My name is Diane Bursey and your Dad & I are first cousins. I live in St. John's, NL and recently met your Mom, Dad and sister at a wedding in Toronto. Keith Clemens got married April 12, 2008. It has been awhile since I've seen your parents and in the process of catching up on what was going on in our families your Mom told me about your Bike tour. I think your
are a very brave and wonderful person to take on such tour and your cause.
The donation I am making is actually from a card club I belong to in St.John's. The club is make up of my five sisters, two sisters in law and two girl friends and myself. We pay cards once a week and we decided that because this was such a good cause we just had to support you.

We all wish the very best on your adventure and God speed

Diane

Deanna said...

hey there! great write ups Matt!! I laugh out loud at some! I am so glad you are having such a wonderful experience!! is your gps working yet? take care! De