Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sunny, Sunny and Sunny



I checked the forecast for south Arizona.... and it was 7 days of sun. Can't remember the last time I saw that. Now I have nothing to complain about. Well I guess I could complain about the heat and wind. But I guess that's old hat now.





I can't believe how long it has been since I have updated this. I guess it's been pretty remote where I have been. I guess in my mind I'm still mentally blogging. By that I mean I'm thinking of blog titles and things to write about as I ride. It's been great I have met alot more really cool people on the road. I met an cool guy named Nickel from Arkansas, we shared a couple days of hard weather and tough climbs. We got snowed on a ton where we couldn't see a few feet in front of us. The road down to our destination was a very steep descend... we made a choice to hitchhike down the mountain. I know this is cheating for the ride. But don't worry I made up the miles by riding out of my way to make up for the miles to different National Parks.


I met some Canadian girls just outside the Grand Canyon. Tiffany and Charlene were extra nice and outfitted me with almost everything they had. They were more than helpful. I also, met an elder couple hiking around the Grand Canyon and they gave me some money for dinner and a night of accommodation. I am so impressed with the charity of individuals trying to help me finish this trek, I will never forget it and remember to help others in the same situation for the rest of my life. It's great when these things happen because sometimes you can be pretty lonely and the task at hand seems unattainable. But then you meet such a cool person and its so rejuvenating to push you to the next destination.


Coming through Utah and the west part of Colorado was some of the hardest riding I have ever done in my life. I had to make sometimes 20 mile climbs.... basically riding uphill for 4 or 5 hours. With no end in sight. But I have learned to love the climbs because how fun it is when you go down. Goes to that classic line. What goes up must come down....really fast.


Speaking of really fast, it's amazing that it has been two months. I can't believe it. I have travelled at total of 5300km's. The trip in my mind has been broken into 3 parts. First part making it to San Diego... the longest section. The second part is the coastal route to Vancouver. The third and most important ;) Is riding home to Ontario.

It's pretty wild to fathom the distances and I try to remember all the farms, towns, and... cows I have seen. At some points when your riding and there is no town for 100's of km's. I feel like Tom Hanks, not in "Forest Gump" because I'm not growing a beard but in "Cast Away." For example, I have named my bike Betsy (In honour of my good friend Eoin). But some days Besty and I have a love/hate relationship (bike malfunctions). Then there is Zoot the trip mascot who has been strapped to the handlebars for the duration of the trip. I wouldn't go as far to say I am as close with them as Tom Hanks character was to Wilson the volleyball. But still they are my best friends on the road :) (The picture to the above and to the right is when i got snowed in at one of the canyons. I look happy but I think it was more a state of delerium)

I want to try and explain the amazing sites I have seen thus far. But most of the time I am left speechless. So, I will post some pics and hopefully they can do it justice. (Bottom left; that is actually the moon rising at night one night when I was camped in the desert somewhere. Bottom Right; that is ontop of a mountain called Lizard Head pass near Telluride.... beautiful and cold)













Well till next time!
Matthew.

9 comments:

Homebase said...

Hey, hey, Matt!

Love the pics--especially the 'tent in snow' one, very cool.

We're just back from Oshawa where Erinn has won two silver medals in five-pin bowling at the 2008 Provincial Spring Games. How about that, eh? Her team did a great job and at this moment, they're probably dancing up a storm at a windup party being held tonight.

Those rides in the mountains sounded like they had their ups and downs, both hill-wise and weather-wise. Now that there are just sunny days and flat land (desert?) ahead, we'll look forward to hearing a lot more.

We're especially looking forward to hearing when you start heading homeward. :-)

Thinking of you every day, Matt. Keep well.

Chris T said...

Dear Matt

I love you, thank you for the email.
I enjoy reading the blog and today I watched the movie that Mark made.

I liked the movie. Ilove the pictures you look good.

Take care
Chris

Unknown said...

Matt! What amazing pictures! They're beautiful. You're not looking so bad yourself either ;)
I hope you're enjoying the break from the mountainous landscape... at least until you hit BC and Alberta. Keep the pics and posts comin!
Ride safe!

Jen K said...

Matt! such amazing pics! I hope that you are enjoying the coast and keeping safe. Can't believe you are already in California. Check out SalvationArmy.ca/ontariogreatlakes

I stole some of your pics...but it's for a good cause ;)

Unknown said...

What a great story. Thank you for what you're doing.
I'm an SA Captain in Bakersfield, California. I have two sons with autism and really appreciate your cause.
Where are you in California exactly?

Jen K said...

Hi Mark - Matt is a bit farther north than Bakersfield - in Santa Cruz. I am sure he would love to hear from you - email me and I will try to connect the 2 of you.

Jen K said...

a quick update for those following the blog - Matt is doing well and now is in Santa Cruz, CA after a bit of a side trek to Tennessee...but I'll let him tell you that story.

Matthew Bursey said...

Hello Mark, Right now I'm just north of Santa Cruz heading towards San Francisco. I should be in San Fran tomorrow. If you want give me your email and I can drop you a line or give you a call! :)

Justin said...

Dear Matt

It’s the Strive- To – Go Thursday cooking group! When your back we would like you to come for lunch with us so we can show you how we have become great cooks and then we could see how we compete with some of the food you have had while you are gone. Steaks the size of plates …. MAN… WOW! The rhubarb pie sounds really yummy too.

Freestyle wants to know what you thought of the song that he and Paul sang.

We’ve been thinking about you around here and thinking how lucky we are to sleep to in our own beds while you have slept just about everywhere.

Sleeping in snow and with deer, riding up and down mountains all day, your nickname should be MOUNTAIN MAN!!!

We enjoy your blog and have been thinking about how your bike has held up during your trek. We hope that your bike doesn’t break again. Will you have to buy a new bike when you’re done? We are really proud of you!!!

It’s too bad that you didn’t get to meet Oprah in Chicago.

You must really miss your family, they must be REALLY proud of you.

Thank you for raising awareness. You’re a nice man. Keep yourself self safe because we love and need you!

Peace Out!
And as Lisa would say ROCK ON!!!

The Thursday STG Cooking Group