Friday, July 25, 2008

The World is Flat.

Well the world is flat in the Prairies at least. It's interesting how flat they actually can be. You can see a grain elevator or water tower in the distance and be staring at it for a good hour before you reach it. It's funny to play mental games to see how many Km's it will take to get there. But those game soon get boring and I forget how far I got.

The long days are easier and not as tiring as they were in the mountains. But definitely very tiring mentally staring at the same landscape for hours. But I don't take this landscape for granted because it is the very important for agriculture and also brings beauty. It is serene in the mornings when the mists are rising from the crops early.

I can't write this very much longer but two things worth noting are; I am in Saskatoon and it took me four days to get here from Calgary. The city seems interesting, especially because I'm staying at a shelter. It's been awhile since I have stayed at one and the first thing that happened was a man approached me and asked if I snuck any booze in. I wasn't sure if he was joking but said I wouldn't make it very far if my water bottles had booze in them. He then lifted up his shirt and started slapping his over sized belly and said, "I'm a ladies man". We talked for awhile after and we shared our stories.

The second thing was I saw a little girl in a crowd with Down Syndrome. She was about 3 years and everyone was struck by her cuteness. I remember when my sister was this age and one boy who was in her grade came up to me and my mom and said "I wish I had Down Syndrome so I could be as popular as Erinn." I was really young when this happened and I still remember it to this day. I'm not sure what my point is here exactly. But the comparison came to me when watching the crowd and how they interacted with the child.

Godspeed.
Matthew

No comments: