Monday, July 7, 2008

Home sweet home... well almost.

Clicking and squeaking, my bike and I navigated through many side streets to get near the Canadian border. I didn't even notice the name of the town I was in, neither did I care to know it because of my focus to cross the border home. I had this really strange feeling swirling around my stomach. A mixture of disbelief and excitement. As I rounded the corner I could see the grey concrete structures where people are harassed daily on who they are or where they have been. As per usual there massive line ups of trucks and automobiles which filled the air with sitting exhaust. Looking at the massive Customs buildings was intimidating. I started to get nervous like I always do when crossing a border. It's not that I have been out of the country for years and years, I had been out for longer before. I guess it's the hard work and long days to get there that made me so emotional when seeing the great north.

Suddenly I thought came to mind, I remembered my lentils and my army knife, I always think of the smallest things that I could get in trouble for when crossing the border. The last memory when coming home from previous travels reminds me of coming off a plane from being over seas for a year and half. That time however I had a massive beard and was wearing the loose fitting Thai fisherman's pants. That time they gave me a hard time....

When I walked in this time, I was greeted kindly by the customs officer. I told him where I came from and where I had ridden too and he called over to his other friend to hear my story. 3 of them just hung around and asked semi-serious questions. But more along the lines of hearing the tales from the trip. It was great to have the ability to make a group of customs officers laugh and actually interested in what I'm doing. It made these hardened people seem human to me.

So, they let me go without an intense shakedown for my lentils. I rode hard for one or two more KM's giving a "Yaaaa WHOOOOOOOO" It was a great feeling to be back home.

It has been a great couple of weeks. I have really enjoyed alot of the people I have met and learned alot about hospitality and kindness. I will especially remember Seattle, It is a nice city with not that overwhelming size or rat race feel to it. But what made it really special were my friends Charlie and Marti. These two people are saints in my eyes I can't believe how generous they were. They met me at a picnic table practically in the middle of nowhere and loaded me with water and cookies. Then met up with them at the South Beach Newport campground in Oregon. The next day they chased me down on the road and gave me great maps to navigate through the safest and most beautiful route through the State of Oregon, which is priceless information for a cyclist. They offered me accommodation in Seattle and I couldn't say no. I had to get there in an allotted time but I'm always up for the challenge and pushed myself to get there. When arriving they made me feel like an old friend or relative. I have never felt so comfortable in the presence of strangers. The food was great and of course they had more cookies for me... Incredible. I will never forget that part of this trip, the kindness was unprecedented and I hope I can repay the favour one day. These acts of kindness are always so rejuvenating to push me and remind me why I am doing what I'm doing.

Finished with the United States it was a great time but very difficult at points. I can't believe I'm this far. It seems like I'm just a few blocks from home. I know I shouldn't think like that because this is a massive challenge that awaits. But since I'm home in Canada I feel like things are a little more familiar and warmer. I don't know if that makes sense. But being back in Canada definitely has brought a sense of ease and optimism finishing roughly 2/3 of the trip.

The last and most important thing in this blog is giving recognition to the support that I have received from friends in Hamilton, ON. The work alot of people have put forth on this trek has been phenomenal. My family is also there to help me through the hard times and help organize thing on the go with the ever changing route. So thanks everyone for making this trip so successful and helping push for the best support for the great individuals in our communities! The next big function to help fundraise, that everyone should try and attend for a good time and a great cause is the Lawson BBQ which will be held on July. 19th from 11:00 to 5:00 at Bayfront Park in Hamilton, ON. This will be a fun day with lots of amazing people attending. I wish I could be there but apparently I'm too slow :)

Happy to be home and Godspeed.
Matthew

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Matthew,

Love reading about your travels. We'd love to attend the BBQ on the 19th but unfortunately we have a conflict. Looking forward to your return home and getting to hear first hand your great experience. Would also love to participate in any other fundraising plans you have.

Rob & Theresa

mark v said...

hey matt.

haven't written in a while. it's super busy at lawson right now. trying to make this picnic really good. i think it should be. a lot of fun things set up for it and i think a lot of people will be coming out.
glad you saw the redwoods. the ones i saw weren't that big but they were still pretty awesome. sounds like your toughening up through your travels. you'll probably have built up enough character for a life time by the time you get home.
glad you made it back to canada, always feels good to be home eh?
hey, you should check out the movie Out of the Wild. its about a guy who goes on a cross country adventure and learns all this stuff from the people he meets. it might give you the last boost you need to get home.
anyways. have fun on the home stretch.
mark v