Monday, April 14, 2008

Southside Chicago Greeting!

Hello hello!

I just arrived in Ottawa......... Illinois that is. Not as nice as our nation capital I must say, but still a good lil' town. Surrounded by vast amounts of farmland, which has some beautiful views. It was also such a positive ride because alot of downhill!!!! I just rode in from Chicago where I had took two days off of pedaling, and it was much needed rest after coming in from South Bend (home of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish). The total distance from South Bend to Downtown Chicago was about 168km, so it was a big day especially because it seemed as if it was uphill the whole time. The winds were gusting at about 60 to 70mph, sometimes it was a struggle to keep the bike on the ground. At points I felt as if I would be reenacting the scene from the movie "E.T" flying through the sky on my bike. Luckily that didn't happen but when riding I would look at the speedometer and see my speed was only about 8 or 9 km/h. It was definitely depressing at times.

I got to ride in some very different parts of the U.S again. Riding through Gary, IL (home of Michael Jackson). This was another city that the amount of broken glass was so astonishing that I had no choice but to just ride over it. The parts of the city were mostly burned out buildings or sidewalks and roads in total disrepair. Unfortunately I got a flat in a pretty rough part of town. But it was nice to get a break from the wind. After I was fixed up and made it to Chicago, I was tired from 9 days of straight riding but also so excited for a little break. It took me 12 hours to reach the city.... thats a long time to be on the saddle.

When I got to the South Side I rode past a house with about 5 pit bulls hanging out on the lawn with no leashes. I got on my toes getting ready to to sprint away. Sure enough one of the dogs saw me and chased me down the street. I don't know what it is about dogs, but they sure do not like my environmentally friendly mode of transport. Maybe it's because they love cars so much... sorry I digress. Luckily the dog backed away shortly after leaving his lawn, but our eyes met as he was turning and he sure gave me some cut eye. After a few minutes and still in a rougher area of town. There was three larger set ladies hanging out on their porch. I was riding slowly down this street to find some signs, being kinda lost in the big city. The three ladies stood up and started saying in a deep booming echoing voices, "Ride that bike white boy!!" As they danced around their porch. I gave them a big smile and kept going through the town. With all that in mind, it was a nice greeting to the South Side of Chicago :)

Esthetically Chicago is a really nice city, it is also bicycle friendly. The people I met were great and were really helpful. It was also amazing that I got to hang out with some really nice people that I had previously met on my travels. They showed me the real Chicago and I was so pleased with my weekend being able to learn a bit about where I was coming through. Especially being able to have some real Chicago Style Pizza!! But most importantly I got to talk to lots of locals about what I'm doing. Lots of people were intrigued with the distance and the bicycle ride. But there was a few people really interested in the cause which is really awesome when people are interested in talking about individuals with Developmental Disabilities.

Well I've been riding for awhile and days are blending together as the km's add up. Totaling roughly 940km's. I'm so lucky to represent people with Developmental Disabilities on this trek. I've been to some really amazing places and I don't want to forget them but its hard to remember when I whip through so many towns everyday. I'll have to get pictures up very quickly so people can get a better idea of what it's like on the road. But again that will have to wait another week due to some technically difficulties. So, I have to apologize.

Well I'll be back on Friday! Thanks so much for all the supportive comments. It's really great that people are following this because it will make this cause get more attention!

Thanks for reading!
Godspeed
M. Bursey.

6 comments:

Chris T said...

April 15 2008

Dear Matt

Good luck on your bike tour.
Drink lots of water!
Eat lots of good food!
Get lots of sleep!
I miss you calling me "sandbox".
Ride safe!
I think about you every day.
I prey for you!
Good luck
Godspeed
Chris T

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Yes Matty! Ride that bike white boy! That was hillarious...I can only imagine the various senarios played out by the great show Family guy, where this is something that I'm sure they've re-enacted over time...ohh America!

So your doing great, in chicago already! That wasn't to long...but of course it's easier for me to say that as opposed to riding a bike there myself...but good timing none the less.

How amazing is the Chicago style pizza! The crust...oh the crust...only if I had one more bite...a memory I will treasure of Chicago as well...

Conitune to rock and roll! Can't wait for the next installment.

Until then, PC out and be safe.

Ted

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Matt!

Nice sum up of Chicago - it sounds like an amazing time, and such a reward after the first hard week of biking. I'm not sure what was the greater reward the familiar chicago faces or the familiar deliiiicous Chiacago pizza - I'm sure it's a tough one! Either way, I'm glad you had a relaxing weekend and are set for the next leg of the trip!

Your stories are awesome. I second Ted with his love for the "Ride that bike white boy" comment. What a visual. haha good stuff! It's good to hear your not lacking enthusiastic supporters along the way.

I can't wait to hear more.
Keep these stories comin!

Ride safe,
-Evelyn

Jen K said...

I am loving hearing about your adventures! So great. you are really making good time!

hypothetically speaking - if you had to guess when you would be in LA when would that be? working on some stuff. ;)

take care.