Saturday, April 26, 2008

Another Day Another Mile.

You may have noticed I used the Mile reference instead of the Kilometer. But I just think Mile sounds better. I'm not buckling to the American measurement system, however I am getting used to it. So, this last week has been amazing and full of strange and beautiful things. I am just shy of 2000km's and have arrived in Pittsburg, Kansas. Yesterday, I rode into this place from Golden City, Missouri. I must say that I had the best pie I have ever had in my life. Strawberry Rhubarb with a big scoop of homemade Vanilla Ice Cream. This was from a small place called Cooky's so if you ever stop in Golden City.... make sure you get some pie. They had like 500 different types. And after a long day of riding into a headwind of about 30 mph and biiiiiiiiig hills the pie was delectable.

Everyone I know thought Missouri was flat, that couldn't be more wrong. That was one thing I definitely underestimated when planning this trip. Was the size of the hills (Ozark Mountains) The mountains bring a whole new dimension to the ride. It's slow going but patience building when climbing the hills and great training for the upcoming mountains. But coming down them is a huge adrenaline rush with the high speeds you can hit. It's funny with the winds and the speed my whole face was completely desensitized after awhile the other day. Also, I wore my break pads right down close to the metal because of how many times I have had to slow myself down on the descents.

With Spring thriving now, it makes these trips through the mountains and farmlands amazing. The colours and smells are all so fresh and it makes for stunning scenic rides. It's hard to take it all in sometimes, trying to understand the proximity and relation to where I am and to where I am going. The thought of the adventure thus far is truely overstimulating. On the rides over the past two days I have dubbed myself the "Matthew the Turtle Rescuer." I know the name may not seem that impressive but what I have done over the last couple days is helped turtles see at least one other day. It's been pretty tragic over the past few days, when seeing some of the roadkill. Unfortunately, turtles are one of the animals that can't make fleet of foot to escape the wrath of these massive dangerous trucks. They hide in their shells and hope for the best as these massive machine whiz over their heads.

So, whenever I see a turtle making his way across the road I will grab him and move him to the side of the road he's trying to get too. The strange thing is that 2 days ago, they were all moving left to right. Then yesterday they were moving right to left. I don't know if it's coincidence or if it's some kind of weird turtle game. Anyway, I think I have helped a grand total of 6 turtles reach their destination. They can be really big too, the biggest one was the size of a dinner plate.

Along the route of my turtle adventures, I encountered my first flood. I was coming down one street to hook up with another state highway to get to Pittsburg. When I saw these road closures signs. I was curious to see why the road was closed and continued pedaling. As I reached some crossroads. Just beyond the intersection there was a massive flood making my route impassable. I went up to it to judge how bad it was.... It was about 100 yards of washed up road. I was estimating about 2 to 3 feet deep at the deepest part. If I went around it, it would add about an extra 12 miles (20 Km's) on my day. I was pretty tired and decided I might as well try. I couldn't pedal through it so I would have to walk through it, I took off my socks and shoes and loaded up the panniers on my bike so they could not be touched. Just as I started to walk towards the water... I stopped and decided not to give everyone another reason to worry and went around it. This ended up adding another hour and a half of riding. So if your a worrier don't worry I'm making great decisions :)

Well I'll sign off here I'm a little tired today and have been eating 15 peoples worth of food. Everyone is always concerned with my weight but with the portions down here you don't have to worry. I had a steak sandwich the other day and the steak was the size of the plate. The bun was normal sized. I wish I got a picture of it. Wouldn't be funny if I rolled into town well over weight... I don't know if it's possible but with my appetite I wouldn't be surprised lol.

Godspeed!!!
Matthew.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST!!!
****Thanks for all the people for following these blogs and leaving comments, it's really motivating and uplifting from all the kind words!*****

12 comments:

Jaci said...

Jen Kellner introduced me to your blog and I'm so glad she did. It's such an inspiring story, and I love the turtle tale!

Congratulations on getting this far, good luck continuing down the road, I'm looking forward to your next installment!

Kathy said...

Matt,
How nice it was to meet you! Thank you for letting me know about your blog, I found it very enteresting. Wierd turtle game how cute.

I want to let you know about a friend of mine named Levi who also has down syndrome. He was homecoming king. Now that's beauty just like the commercial says.

Best of it all,
Kathy (Pittsburg, Ks Econo Lodge front desk)

Lesley said...

Hi Matt!
You sound like you're having a great adventure. Aunt Christine also wanted me to tell you that she is really proud of what you're doing. The family in Ottawa are really enjoying hearing about your ride.
Take care and safe journey! :-)

boomercat said...

April 25, 2008

Dear Matthew:

My name is Elaine Wells. My husband, Graham and I are friends of your parents. We grew up with your father in Newfoundland. I found out about your bike trip when I attended Keith's Clemens wedding in Toronto. We sat at the same table as your family.

Your sister is an amazing person. It is a credit to your family that she has inspired such a sense of love and committment in you.

I have been following your trip with great interest. I was happy to read that you remember the people who love you before making decisions, i.e. the flood thing!
And by the way, thank you for saving the turtles.

It has been our privilege to make a donation to this very worthy cause.

Your blogs have been very, very interesting. Take care. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Elaine & Graham Wells

Jen K said...

Good choice!! You so know your worrying friends well. As I was reading I started to cringe...then laughed out loud when you decided to go around the flood. So great.

I love your turtle tales. You definitely have the gift of story telling.

Chris T said...

Dear Matt

I like your story about the pie and the turtles and the flood.

I am glad that you went around the flood.

I am glad that you saved the turtles. Be careful that they don't bite you.

I miss you!!
God bless

mark v said...

Matt
glad your having fun. i'm pretty jealous. I did a similar trip a down to san diego/mexico a couple of year ago, except i was in a truck and i was with someone. we slept in the back of the truck, which was often probably worse than in a tent.
though i tents can be tough sleeps. we had a display at an autism conference in Hamilton last week. justin, lesley, myself and others were there spreading the word about your trip. some people were really interested and got excited about it. it was pretty cool. we gave them some info and directed them to your blog. we also let them know where they could donate which many said they would.
I made a short film for that, just of still images and pictures. I will put it up on utube or Lawson website. the main video is still in production but lisa is pushing us to have it done for the end of the week. i will put that up as well.
hope things continue to go well.
keep strong.

mark

Thomas Wilson said...

Great to hear about your adventures Matt! I played "Spin Your Wheels" (the song I wrote you and your trek) last Friday with the Wilson Family Forgery, my new band. I told the audience a little about your journey. I hope our joyful noise back here sent some supportive sound waves your way. Godspeed!

Lester said...

hey Matty,
Good times and the turtle story so so sad but I am glad you are doing a little animal activism.
New York was great but really busy!!!
I can't believe you are this far and I am glad you are using some good judgement!!!
I was a little concerned when I saw the blog from Lesley below, I thought someone had broken into my account. LOL
Keep the awesome stories coming, we miss you and so good to talk to you last week
xo

Suzanne said...

Hey Matt,
Wanted to let you know that we have almost finished the first part of planned fund raising at Kuehne+Nagel, your Dad’s old haunt. The blogs are great, love the story about the mountains, made the same mistake cycling in Scotland a number of years ago
Safe Trip.

lmoulde said...

WOW...What an amazing trip. I read about your cross country adventure on the Daily News. I am also a Mac Grad '06 (Business) and now work in the Alumni Office at Mac.
I enjoyed catching up to your current Blog and will be sure to check back to hear more about the trip and people you meet.

My life has been touched by several people with down syndrome all amazing people and great friends, I think this is a great cause and wish you continued success on your treck!

Homebase said...

Hey, Matt! We're all rooting for you here and hoping those winds let up. It sounds like you've met some terrific people and had some great experiences so we look forward to hearing more.

Keep on! Those mountains are just ahead!

Love from all of us